Bishop Guilfoyle vs. Steelton-Highspire: Preview of the State Semi-Finals Matchup

Branden Wasser, Senior Contributor

This Saturday, Bishop Guilfoyle will be playing against Steelton-Highspire in the PIAA Class A State Semi-finals for football at Steelton, PA. Bishop Guilfoyle is 7-2 while Steelton-Highspire is 9-0. The winner of this matchup will play next week in the state championship in Hershey. Bishop Guilfoyle is coming off a blowout victory against Homer-Center, 48-13, while Steelton-Highspire is advancing from a close game against Old Forge, 39-36. Who will succeed and advance to Hershey?

Both teams have explosive offenses that are difficult to slow down. Bishop Guilfoyle is averaging over 38 points a game (the game against Forest Hills was 48-0 before Bishop Guilfoyle had to forfeit for playing an ineligible player) with running back Keegan Myrick leading the way with 14 touchdowns on the ground. Steelton-Highspire is averaging over 41 points a game. They do not have stats listed on MaxPreps, the official high school sports stat tracker, but they have very talented receivers with Mehki Flowers taking charge. This game may come down to defense, where Bishop Guilfoyle has the edge. Bishop Guilfoyle allows an average of under nine points a game, while Steelton-Highspire allows an average of under twenty points a game. Once again, while Steelton-Highspire does not have stats available, Bishop Guilfoyle has eighteen sacks and seven interceptions so far this year, both of which are above the national average. To add, Bishop Guilfoyle has more depth with 56 players compared to Steelton-Highspire’s 27 players. This may give Bishop Guilfoyle an advantage as the game gets closer to its end. Both teams are very talented, and competing for a shot at the state title in Class A. The game may come down to who creates a better game plan and how well it is executed. Hope to see you there!

*Editors note: The Bishop Guilfoyle Marauders lost to Steelon-Highspire on November 21 with a fighting score of  16-14.