LHAC Postpones Basketball and Wrestling Season

Cameron Khoza, Senior Contributor

The Laurel Highlands Athletic Conference (LHAC) announces that its 13 members will postpone the start to their basketball and wrestling seasons. Official practices will now start December 14th instead of November 20th, and games will begin on January 8th instead of in December. Schools in the LHAC conference for winter sports include: Bedford; Bishop Carroll Catholic; Bishop Guilfoyle Catholic; Bishop McCort Catholic; Cambria Heights; Central Cambria; Chestnut Ridge; Forest Hills; Greater Johnstown; Penn Cambria; Richland; Somerset; and Westmont Hilltop.

With the rise in cases in the counties containing teams in the conference, LHAC Executive Director Scott Close had this to say about the decision made: “In collaboration with the leaders of each school, the Laurel Highlands Athletic Conference has decided to postpone the start of the winter season. The health and well-being of our student-athletes are the main concerns of the conference.” With the current local health conditions, many schools have been forced to operate virtually. It is the belief of the conference that students need to be back in the classroom before they can take to the athletic fields. As of now, practices for the winter season may begin on Dec. 14. and contests for the LHAC will tentatively begin on Jan. 8.“This will allow schools to stay in-house for practices during the holiday travel seasons and only begin to play interscholastically upon returning from the Christmas break,” says sports journalist Mike Mastovich.

With the delayed start of the season, that could prove beneficial for some teams that have struggled with covid cases, such as Bishop Guilfoyle. It also gives those who may not have had many opportunities to practice over the summer to make up for lost time.